Saturday, December 5, 2009

Never pass up an oportunity!

My new motto!! Last night I went to a small market in Tervuren. I was a bit pressed for time and wanted to get in and out fairly quickly. Someone I knew told me that there was a jewelry designer there who might be interested in my beads. My first thought was 'I don't have time for networking tonight.' I almost left...then the thought occurred to me that I have not been in the habit lately of turning down opportunities to promote my work. Well I went back to the market and found the designer and we had a lovely chat. She was a really warm girl. We talked for a good time and she confessed she loved making finished pieces….I confessed that I just wanted to make beads and not too much jewelry (finished pieces)….she works with metals…I work with glass…we both feel that we can complement each other’s work. She was excited about the idea of coming to my studio for a visit and a demonstration…I was intrigued at the thought that we could work on a special piece together. New Contact…possibly a new friend….opportunity dually seized!

I’ve said it before, beads bring people together. So…whether you are a jewelry designer, lampwork artist, shop owner etc….Never pass up the chance to make a new acquaintance….you never know what kind of doors will open up to you! One more thing….competition is NOT a negative thing!! I really mean it! The work that other people do is different. Not better or worse. Make friends and take yourself lightly. Life is meant to be enjoyed. It shouldn’t be a slog.

O.k….I’m climbing off the ‘soap box’ now…sermon over ;-)

1 comment: