Saturday, January 23, 2010

Curved mandrels and Royal Tombs



First of all curved mandrels! Well Well!! I am really impressed with them! I ordered six (I rarely buy one of anything) from Zooziis ( www.zooziis.com )and could not wait to try them out when they arrived. Amy at Zooziis very kindly suggested a bead release to use on them so it was easy to remove the beads from the mandrels (something I was nervous about since I worked the beads in the flame for a LONG time)I will say that you will need to get used to working with them. I found that I get best results when turning them like I'm turning a crank (I do hope that makes sense)

Where does the Royal Tomb come in? Well the reason I ordered the mandrels in the first place was because I was inspired to make a curved bead from a photo I saw in a book, 'The History of Beads' by Lois Sherr Dublin. The book was a Christmas present from my son and the photo was of an agate bead found in a royal Mesopotamian tomb. Of course my bead looks much different from the 'original’. You can see more photos of this bead on my Flickr account.

No comments:

Post a Comment